From Bernie Sanders to Greenpeace UK, progressive organisations are using digital mobilisation to activate hundreds of thousands of campaigners and raise millions of pounds online. Forward Action believes that a digital mobilisation model – where organisations use digital channels to drive tens or hundreds of thousands of supporters to take advocacy, fundraising and volunteering actions – can revolutionize campaigning and fundraising in the NGO sector, but its potential is still largely untapped in the UK. We help progressive organisations build digital mobilisation programmes and, as our Head of Creative, you will lead our creative team to produce copy and designs that inspire people to take action.
You’ll be in charge of our copywriting, design and creative work. You’ll set the creative direction for our work, write and edit copy, come up with digital engagement tactics, facilitate brainstorms with our partners and ensure we deliver high quality creative work that helps our progressive partners hit their goals. And finally, you’ll manage two Digital Creatives, overseeing their work to keep delivering creative that produces excellent results with our partners.
If you know how to write copy that drives people to act, have great attention to detail, enjoy supporting partners to come up with creative ideas, and would be excited to help spread digital mobilisation across the charity sector, this job is for you.
This is a permanent role, with the freedom to work both in our London office and remotely from home, although during any lockdowns you will, of course, only work from home. You can work either four or five days a week.
People from communities that traditionally experience discrimination on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, or immigration status; women and non-binary people; parents; people with disabilities; and LGBTQ+ people are especially encouraged to apply.
Who we are
Forward Action is a digital mobilisation agency for progressive causes. We help our partner organisations reach new supporters, then mobilise them to become activists and donors. We have been in the engine room of some of the most successful election and charity digital campaigns of the last few years, helping our partners add millions of new supporters to their email lists, raise more money online (from more donors) and create campaigns that have led to real-world change. You will play a key role in this in your job.
Our values are critical to us: we will only work with causes that make the world a better place. You will get to work with some of the most inspiring and impactful organisations in the sector – such as Greenpeace, Cancer Research UK, and Amnesty International – and spend your days helping win progress on everything from climate change to homelessness.
You will be working at the cutting edge of digital mobilisation. We trust in data rather than our gut instincts, so we are constantly testing and iterating in our work in order to challenge assumptions and drive better results. We are an agile, fast-moving team, and you will have the opportunity to rapidly expand your knowledge and experience.
One of our fundamental values is that all our work should drive real-world, measurable results. But we also believe that the greatest progressive impact we can have is to give our partner organisations the skills, knowledge and culture they need to do what we do themselves. We want to spread our skills and way of working across the progressive sector, not make our partners dependent on us.
What you’ll do as part of our team
- Set the overall creative direction and messaging for our work with partners, and ensure that all the copy we deliver meets a high standard
- Plan, write and edit copy for emails, Facebook ads, signup and fundraising pages, and digital engagement tools (example here)
- Collaborate with other members of the Forward Action team to ensure our creative work remains innovative and sector-leading
- Share creative recommendations with our partners and train them in copywriting and email best practice
- Manage creative capacity for Forward Action, ensuring that concepts, copy and other deliverables are produced on time and to a high standard
- Line manage our two Digital Creatives, overseeing their workload and supporting their professional development
- Provide clear, constructive feedback on copy written by the Digital Creatives, freelance copywriters and other members of the team
- Facilitate brainstorms and creative sessions, and come up with concepts for handraisers, fundraising campaigns, engagement tools and other tactics
- Lead on the design process for new webpages, including planning user journeys, providing designers with briefs, and feeding back on designs
Benefits and location
Pro Rata Salary: £46,375 if you live inside London, £41,406 (plus £3,000 travel expense allowance) if you live outside London.
Contract Term: This is a permanent contract. The role can be either full time or four days a week.
Location: At home during lockdown; post-lockdown, in our Hoxton office, with the option to work remotely. Ensuring our team is open to people who live outside London and enabling staff to work flexibly are important values to us, so you’ll have the freedom to work from home regularly. Many of our meetings are held via video conferencing, but post-lockdown you will need to attend meetings with partners in London fairly regularly – once or twice a week on average.
Holiday: 25 days/year (pro rata), plus bank holidays and the week between Christmas and New Year.
Extra holiday for travelling sustainably: We’re a member of the Climate Perks scheme, so you’ll have an extra two days of holiday a year if you use them to travel by land or sea instead of taking a flight.
Maternity and Paternity/Long-term partner parental leave: For a small organisation, we’re proud to have a generous and progressive parental leave policy. Maternity leave is 12 weeks at full pay, 14 weeks at 50% pay. Paternity/Long-term partner parental leave is 6 weeks at full pay.
Working culture and hours: Our team is open, inclusive, friendly, respectful and kind. We are especially looking forward to seeing applications from people that experience discrimination on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, or immigration status; women and non-binary people; new parents; disabled people; and LGBTQ+ people.
We work eight hour days (including a 30 minute lunch break), with core hours of 9:30am-4:30pm. We put a lot of importance on ensuring everyone finishes on time: while there are some times when you’ll need to stay a little later to finish work, people in the team rarely work more than 45-60 minutes late. No one ever works on weekends or their holidays.
Abilities and experience you’ll need to have
- 3+ years experience working in digital campaigning and/or digital fundraising
- Excellent copywriting and communication skills
- Experience writing and editing copy for emails, online ads and websites
- Enthusiasm for thinking creatively, coming up with and evaluating new ideas
- Comfortable working across multiple projects and partnerships simultaneously
- Good organisation and attention to detail
- Dedication to helping build a fairer, more progressive society
- Fluency in spoken and written English
We’re also looking for a quick learner. We don’t expect you to know or have done everything when you start – instead, we’ll be looking for you to pick up new skills and knowledge quickly, then run with them.
Abilities and experience that are nice to have
We know it’s not possible for any applicants to have all these skills – it’s likely you’ll be able to bring 3 – 5 of the following to our team:
- Strong facilitation skills
- Experience managing at least one team member
- Experience working as a freelancer and/or at an agency
- An understanding of online user experience (e.g. how to lay out a web page to improve conversion rates)
- Experience planning supporter email journeys
- Experience planning Facebook ad campaigns
- Knowledge of how to plan a fair A/B test
- Experience working with designers
How to apply
To apply for this job, please complete the form here: https://airtable.com/shrKCKiPsYmZKcYNv
To ensure our hiring process is as fair as possible, we run an anonymised application procedure. So please remove your name, the name of your university (where applicable) and contact information from your CV before uploading it, and only enter these details in the online form.
To apply, you will need to include:
- your CV (with name, contact details, and (where applicable) the name of your university removed)
- Answers to these questions (please limit your answers to 250 words each):
- Here is an email that the domestic violence charity, Refuge, sent to supporters. Why do you think this is an effective fundraising email?
- Why would you be a good fit for the job?
- At Forward Action we make sure that the copy our partners use in emails, Facebook ads and on web pages is action-focused. What do you think are the key copywriting techniques that drive people to take action?
Applications close on Sunday 15 August 2021.
Shortlisted candidates will be asked to complete a written online task from home – this can be any time that works for you between Friday 20 August and Sunday 22 August. Selected candidates will then be invited to attend an interview (via a video call) on Tuesday 31 August.
If you’re unclear about anything to do with the role, you can contact our team on firstname.lastname@example.org